Thursday 22 March 2012

The Custard Boys - coming to London

Now here is a thing, many people come to my blog as I wrote about John Rae's The Custard Boys.  It is one of my favourite pieces of fiction and for some reason, this blog is google's number one search result on the subject.

Although it has been filmed twice, I have never seen it as a wildly popular story but Glenn Chandler, creator of Taggart, has decided to put the story on the stage in London (The Tabard Theatre - Turnham Green) from 10 April to 12 May.  I am intrigued.  Details here Tabard theatre.

2 comments:

  1. you know on reading more about the story , I do remember the film , I think I might have to watch it again as I only saw it just the once . I think in black and white .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jay,

    You are referring to "Reach for Glory", http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0056397/ the Harry Andrews film which is based on the book and contains (for 1963) a daring cornfield encounter between the two boys.

    Otherwise there is the CFU version called "The Custard Boys" which reduces their relationship to one of holding hands!

    Ian

    ReplyDelete